Saturday 25 May 2019

The Value of Social Media/Open Studios




"Social media" often attracts bad press, and would seem, at face value, to be rather introspective, with  most people using the social media platform of “FACEBOOK” to simply talk about themselves and share intimate details about their daily lives. It is arguable whether this has any real value and not unreasonably it is viewed as foolish or even dangerous.  We have all read horrible stories of young people being bullied on social media, so it is not unreasonable to think of social media as an out-of-control monster and possible blight on society.

In contrast, the Facebook groups set up by and for people working in a specific field of creative activity, bring people together and provide opportunities for those who generally work in isolation, with the opportunity to connect with like-minded others.

On Facebook, there are various groups for people who like to work with glass....."Fused Glass Enthusiasts"  the largest British group, has more than 2000 members, while most of the other similar groups have thousands of members from all over the world. One American group has 20,000 members!  It is a wonderful way to showcase work and it is also a brilliant way to interact with other artists from different countries, all of whom are interested in,  and encouraging to their fellow group members.  Conversations between members, on line, are often lengthy and informative, members ask technical questions which others answer;  members show their work which other members comment upon.  It is so helpful to get feedback from one's peers.  


There is a Facebook group called "Fused Glass Tutorials and Books", and every year they hold a competition called “Equinox”.    Visitors to the page can vote for their favourite piece of work entered by members, in a variety of categories, and my Field and Hedgerow plate took first prize!



Winning the Equinox competition has brought me to the attention of many people all over the world;  I have made lots of new "friends" through this extraordinary social media vehicle.  Although we only connect on line, I have found so many of these people to be wonderfully compassionate and caring, providing me with much appreciated support when I am struggling either with my work or for other reasons.  Social media may well cause problems in society, but it also has great value if used sensibly. 

I am now an "administrator" for a Facebook group called "Fused Glass Digital Resources" where we share online information with others.  I also have my own page called "Sketching Basics for Glass Artists" where I offer help to those who want to produce sketches in preparation for making figurative images in and on glass.  I visit Facebook daily, and thoroughly enjoy it as an extension to my creative activities.  It has kept me sane when I have been poorly, and unable to get out and about as much as I might like - I can work from my desk and still feel I am doing something useful!

I have been visited, during my Open Studios, by friends I have made on line from other parts of the world – they have made an effort, when visiting the UK, to come to to meet me personally.  How wonderful is that.  For all its faults, “Social Media” has provided me with great value.

Jackie

OPEN STUDIOS
unique pieces of Glass, Enamel on Copper, Jewellery and 2D decorative and practical pieces can be seen at my home in Bushey Heath between 8-16 JUNE 2019 as part of the Harrow Open Studios event.  Visitors will have the chance to visit the studio, see the equipment I use, ask questions, and enjoy the pretty garden.  Here are some of the pieces which will be available to view and purchase:










  

   

No comments:

Post a Comment

please feel free to leave me a message