Tuesday 23 December 2014

FUSION in more ways than one

Occasionally I introduce you to an artist of note, someone whose work has interested me....in this case, AMAZED me.  I am completely bowled over by this brilliant lady, whose draughtmanship is outstanding, and method is breathtaking in its originality.  I hope you really enjoy this short, pre-Christmas blog.

I am stretching my wings yet again, and making a foray into the world of glass.  It began with the use of enamel on copper - you may remember my bowls and panels - and I decided to take the use of the kiln a little further, and try working with glass.  Enamel powder is glass, so the two forms of craft seem somewhat linked, in my mind. 

I spend a great deal of time on line, researching methods and approaches for this new world of activity....and yesterday, I came across Catharine Newell, an American artist, who works with glass.  She DRAWS with glass.  With glass powder.   !!!  Moving the powder around manually,  on a surface of sheet glass, she creates extraordinary drawings of power and beauty.  

I called this post "FUSION in more ways than one" because what she does is perhaps the most remarkable fusion of craftmanship and draughtmanship I have seen in a long time.  There is also a slight play on words in there too, since the work, when completed, is fused in a kiln.  The image then becomes part of the glass surface. 

Her work speaks for itself, so I will simply share it with you.  Think of it as my gift to you this Christmas.    Just remember, as you look at these images, that they are created not with paint, pastel or charcoal, but with POWDER sprinkled onto the slippery surface of a piece of GLASS:






Ok now are you amazed?  Well be more amazed............watch this video for 6 wonderful minutes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsaMK_FBvY4

I feel privileged to have found her.  I hope you will feel the same way.  

Perhaps next time, I can show you my own attempts to work with this medium.  Maybe.  I feel so inadequate right now.....

Wishing you all a very happy, peaceful and joy-filled Christmas and best wishes for 2015.

4 comments:

  1. This is exciting! now I'm thinking about a microwave kiln for myself, a new adventure maybe. Thanks so much for this post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best of luck in your new venture! Thank you for your inspiring posts in 2014. I'm looking forward to following your blog in 2015. Best to you and your family in the new year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jackie, you inspire me.... because you never stop thinking and experimenting. Merry Christmas and a Happy and Health New Year! Thank you for being my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank you so much for this early Christmas gift! I can hardly wait to see what you do with this medium!

    ReplyDelete

please feel free to leave me a message