Monday 17 July 2023

SIMPLE SCREENPRINTING FOR GLASS ARTISTS

 


Since I had a stroke which left me with shaky hands , drawing is a BIG problem, BUT I have found a way to produce images on glass which require no drawing skills at all!  Once upon a time, creating images on glass required lots of complicated procedures, messy chemicals, darkrooms, UV lights, and all sorts.

Today, this is not the case.  It is possible to use ready-made screens with ready-mixed pastes (enamels) and produce wonderful images on glass without all the palaver. If you do not like the screens available, and can draw or have photos you might want to use, there is the option of having custom screens made for you.

  Here are a few of the pieces I have made:



The great thing about screenprinting in this way is that I still have these screens, and can reproduce the images as often as I want, for panels, bowls, candle screens, all sorts.
There are videos on the internet showing how to work with enamels on glass and how to do screenprinting, but I have found that the problem with videos is the difficulty of remembering all the steps involved when you come to do it yourself. I decided to write a beginner's tutorial, and to my great surprise, it seems to be selling well - perhaps others also find videos are entertaining to watch, but they do need step by step instruction too!

Here is one of the "steps" photos:



If you have not tried screenprinting on your glass, you might enjoy my tutorial.  I am about to list it in my Etsy shop, which is jackiesimmondsstudio.  If you wish, you can contact me directly as an alternative - jackiesdesk@gmail.com


The tutorial is 17 pages, full of information and loads of step by step photos to print off to follow.  It has been well received so far, with nice comments from  happy buyers!
You may spot that on Facebook on one of the glass forums.

It is worth trying....fun and very satisfying.
Jackie



No comments:

Post a Comment

please feel free to leave me a message