Monday 4 March 2024

COLOURFUL GLASS ACCESSORIES

Some of you may know that I make glass accessories, employing a technique related to the fancy-sounding "Pate de Verre" technique, using glass paste, made from finely ground glass and a binder of some kind, which is fully fused in a kiln.  My pieces are formed in moulds, frozen until solid, de-moulded and then fused in the kiln for 12-14 hours.

 I sell them for use as "accessories" for glass artists to add to their glass works.  It is not always easy for me with my annoyingly shaky hands, but I do manage it, with time and patience.  I thought I would simply share some of the photos with you and also, tell you something about Starfish/Sea Stars, which I sometimes make.  


Sea stars live underwater, but that is where their resemblance to fish ends. They do not have gills, scales, or fins. Sea stars live only in saltwater. Sea water, instead of blood, is actually used to pump nutrients through their bodies via a 'water vascular system.'

Also, sea stars move by using tiny tube feet located on the underside of their bodies. Adult sunflower sea stars can move at the astonishing speed of one meter per minute using 15,000 tube feet. Tube feet also help sea stars hold their prey. Sea stars are related to sand dollars, sea urchins, and sea cucumbers, all of which are echinoderms, meaning that they have five-point radial symmetry. However, this does not mean that all sea stars have five arms and species with 10, 20, or even 40 arms exist! If one of these arms is lost, a sea star has the amazingly ability to regenerate it.    
fun facts I bet you did not know!  
Here are some of the sea-themed pieces customers buy from me:  they are the most popular so far.


the background here is a printed paper I found!







and some which are pond-themed:


and some recent flocks of birds!  great for adding to seascapes, or landscapes:


These little pieces can help to make a simple nightlight special, will make  suncatchers fascinating, can be used to decorate picture and photo frames ( can be glued on),  or used to create a complex pictorial scene, a cute candle screen, they can decorate lantern glass, or even tiles in the bathroom!
  
IDEA:
They are also great for kids to use, give them some ceramic tiles,  a selection of my pieces with some glue, and they can easily and safely create the most fabulous little "scenes" which can be framed, or set upon an easel.  Blue Onyx tiles would make a perfect deep sea background!  I tried this with a 7 year old, she said she had the best fun ever!

  I sell my accessory pieces on Etsy..... www.jackiesimmondsstudio.etsy.com

I like making them, and people seem to enjoy using them.  Win win.

Jackie 




 

No comments:

Post a Comment

please feel free to leave me a message