Wednesday 20 January 2021

NEW WORKS IN GLASS - FOR VALENTINE'S DAY AND FOR EVER!

I am working my way back into working with glass, and decided to start with "glass casting" - that is, creating big chunks of glass out of crushed glass and decorative elements.  The way it works is that I fill a mould with crushed glass, choosing my colours and decorative elements in order to create a sculptural piece, which has great depth once fired in the kiln.  I began with glass hearts, Valentine's day in mind.  The resulting pieces have gorgeous colours and clear depths, and are pleasing to hold, they are the size of the palm of my hand, and feel comforting and smooth to hold.  Surprisingly nice, in fact.  One of my happy customers said she loved staring into the one she bought, she said it was like "looking into new worlds in the depths".

Here are a few of them:






The bottom one is really quite deep, about 2cm and it is like looking into the depths of a flowing stream.   


 I decided to add words to some of them:
  


I now have a large stock of these hearts, ready to go to new homes.  They are inexpensive, because I am using them to celebrate my return to glass after a long absence!

Then, I decided to be bold and CUT some glass...something I have avoided because of shaky hands....but I was very careful.  And this is the result, a lovely screen-printed candle screen, which glows at night with a candle behind it.

It is now in my Etsy shop.  click here 


and here it is, at night, with a candle behind - how nice is this.


(Quite a few of the hearts are there too.  But I have more, so if you would like one, just ask for photos of the colour you like.)

I hope you will not mind too much that I have shown these new pieces, but it is a milestone for me in my recovery from stroke, to be back to creative pursuits.  So I am celebrating just a little!


 






No comments:

Post a Comment

please feel free to leave me a message